Are you preparing for an internship interview on Zoom or another video conferencing platform, and you’re feeling a little nervous? We get it – virtual interviews can be intimidating. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with some tips to help you shine on screen.
First things first, lighting. Make sure you have good lighting in front of you, rather than behind you or to the side. This will help you look clear and well-lit on camera. You should also try to position the camera at eye level, rather than too high or low. This will give the impression that you’re looking directly at the interviewer, even though you’re not in the same room.
Next up, where to look. It can be tempting to look at yourself on screen, but try to resist the urge and focus on the camera instead. This will give the impression that you’re making eye contact with the interviewer. If you’re having trouble remembering to look at the camera, you can try putting a sticky note or something else on your computer to remind you.
Now, let’s talk about your background. Make sure it’s clean and professional, rather than cluttered or distracting. You don’t want your interviewer to be more interested in your Harry Potter poster than in what you have to say. If you’re worried about your background, you can try using a virtual background or a blank wall as a backdrop.
Finally, your appearance. Just because you’re not in the same room as the interviewer doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dress the part. Wear a nice shirt or blouse, and make sure you’re well-groomed from head to… well, at least from the waist up. So take a few minutes to make sure you’re looking your best, and you’ll be ready to impress!
Here are a few other tips to keep in mind:
- Test your technology in advance to make sure everything is working properly
- Make sure you have a strong internet connection for the best possible video quality
- Have a copy of your resume and any other relevant documents handy
- Take notes during the interview to help you remember details for later
- Mute your microphone when you’re not speaking to minimize background noise
- Speak clearly and slowly, but also remember to smile
- Avoid distractions and minimize any unnecessary activity on your computer
With these tips in mind, you’ll be well-prepared and ready to rock your virtual internship interview. Just remember to be yourself, dress the part, and focus on the camera, and you’ll be well on your way to impressing your interviewer and landing the internship of your dreams.