An internship is one of the most important investments you can make in your future. In today’s competitive workforce you need to graduate with experience and we can help. Our program guarantees an internship placement. Dedicated staff works to match you with an internship that fits your interests, skills and career goals.
- Gain real world experience. Step away from the sideline and prepare to learn by doing. Having experience in a particular field or industry can give you the competitive edge after graduation; even entry level jobs prefer experience. Internships also strengthen confidence in your work and show you what it’s like to work in that field.
- Grow your network. In Washington, who you know is just as important as what you know. Internships allow you to meet professionals in your field and other interns that share common interests. When it comes time to find your first job or getting letters of recommendation, knowing people in the right positions can make all the difference.
- Cultivate professionalism. You’ll gain insight into what it’s like being a Washington working professional and hone in on soft skills like communication, leadership and time management. Additionally, you’ll learn about company culture, structure and employee relations which will all help inform your future employment decisions down the road.
“The staff did an excellent job placing me in an internship that fit my interests and goals. The program also provided me with other opportunities that I would not have had if I had been in D.C. on my own.”Caleb Ashley, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Intern, Citizens Against Government Waste
Internship Placement Process
- We have strong relationships with hundreds DC organizations. In the last 50 years, we’ve placed more than 8,000 interns with thousands of organizations in the Washington Metropolitan area. Our vast network of connections ensure your resume ends up on the top of the hiring manager’s pile.
- From the time you enroll in our program, dedicated staff will guide you through the internship placement process. You’ll be assigned your own internship coordinator that will ensure you are placed at an organization that matches your interests.
- We guarantee an internship placement. Internship competition is stiff in Washington. Each summer more than 40,000 students flock to the Nation’s Capital to intern. DC is home to thousands of organizations in a variety of fields including, Congress, federal agencies, think tanks, Fortune 500 Companies, government affairs firms, embassies, nonprofits and international non-governmental organizations.
“The program staff was very responsive to my interests and needs. They worked to place me in an internship where interests were matched.”Ryan Ramseyer, United States Air Force Academy
Intern, Center for Strategic and International Studies
How it Happens
- Tell us about yourself. Once you enroll in our program, you’ll complete the Internship Questionnaire. This is the first step in getting to know you, it outlines your skills and experience, the issue areas of interest to you and your preferred organization types.
- Develop a game plan. Next we chat with you over the phone to get a clearer understanding of what you are looking to gain out of your internship experience. During the call we will discuss specific sites and outline a strategy for securing the best options for you.
- Tailored internship resources. Our team will review your resume and a provide personalized feedback to ensure you are a competitive candidate in the Washington market. Additionally, we will make sure you are ready to ace the interview. We will provide you with practice questions, interview tips and resources on researching organizations.
- By your side the whole way. Once the program starts we will prepare you for your first day and be there for you throughout the summer to ensure you have the best experience possible.
94% of students said that the program helped them to develop professional skills for workplace.
Keep in Mind
- Communication is key. Our placement team will stay in contact with you providing updates and guidance until you are placed. if you are not selected for a position after an interview or if you truly feel the internship would not be a strong fit, the process will continue until a placement is confirmed.
- Timelines. Applying for the program early always ensures that more opportunities are available, but does not necessarily guarantee and early placement as the process can last up to three months. Good things take time!
- Internship sites are all accessible by public transportation making your commute to your internship and class a breeze.