Outstanding Student Leader Scholarships
The Fund for American Studies has 4 full scholarships available to aid outstanding student leaders in participating in 1 of 5 summer institutes focusing the following subject areas:
- Public Policy + Economics
- International Affairs
- Journalism + Communication
- Business + Government Affairs
- Service + Community Leadership
The Fund for American Studies (TFAS) seeks to develop future leaders within the fields of public policy, international affairs, business, journalism and the nonprofit sector. TFAS does this through programs that include a guaranteed internship placement, academic coursework at George Mason University, a guest lectures series, site briefings as well as professional development and networking events.
Tuition + Housing
The $8,695 scholarship will cover tuition and housing costs for 1 summer institute, including:
- Enrollment in 6 academic credits.
- Housing during the program in the Potomac House dormitory on the campus of George Washington University.
- Special events, site briefings and professional development sessions.
These full scholarships will be awarded to 4 top students from around the country.
Applicants must have:
- Completed at least one year of collegiate level education in the U.S.
- A GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Active involvement on their campus and/or community.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and commitment to civic engagement.
- Interest in pursuing a career in one of the following fields: public policy, politics, international affairs, business, journalism, communication or the nonprofit sector.
Application Deadline + Special Application Instructions
Applicants for the Outstanding Student Leader Scholarships should submit their complete application by Wednesday, February 10, 2016.
Applicants should complete the online application available at www.DCinternships.org.
In addition to following all of the normal application procedures, Outstanding Student Leader Scholarship applicants should submit an essay with the following prompt in place of the uploaded personal statement: “Please describe how you plan to impact your professional field and community in the future and how this scholarship will help you achieve those goals.”
Interested applicants should also email Mary Stankus, Director of Recruitment and Admissions, at email@example.com to inform her of their intent to apply.
Applicants not selected for one of the full scholarships will automatically be considered for one of the partial scholarship awards available through our general scholarship fund.