Networking & Events
LSI gives you a backstage pass to Washington’s most powerful institutions that most students are only able to read about.
You will be where history is made and network with those making it. You will meet people and visit places that would not have been otherwise possible.
This program will broaden your professional horizons and academic insights all while having exclusive access to networking and special events, catered specifically to your interests and career goals.
Your time in the nation’s capital will open doors that you did not even know existed. Let us help you take advantage of all that the world’s most powerful city has to offer.
“LSI was a wonderful way to spend the summer. I was able to earn academic credit, attend lectures and obtain a highly sought after legal placement. I also had the chance to to network with high caliber legal scholars, professionals, and amazing students from around the country. I encourage other law students to apply.”
Jessica Simmons, Florida Costal School of Law
Intern, Office of Administrative Hearings
Briefings & Special Events
In addition to courses and real work experience, LSI gives you behind the scenes exposure to some of the city’s most influential institutions and organizations.
You will have a front row seat to a variety of exclusive briefings and uniquely DC events, allowing you to delve deeper into your field of interest, make important professional connections and have fun while doing so.
These briefings give you special access to many of Washington’s most restricted places, many of which are only possible through an organized internship program such as LSI.
You will have the chance to attend once in a lifetime tours and hear from leaders within such powerful institutions as:
- Senate Judiciary Committee
- The Pentagon
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of State
These briefings and special events will keep you busy throughout the summer as you take advantage of opportunities that many students only dream of. Through LSI, you will broaden your horizon and gain access to an insider’s view of the nation’s capital. This is the real Washington, DC experience.
“I became well versed in a variety of lobbying disclosure laws, attended meetings at the Old Executive Office Building, and met numerous government officials during my summer in DC, none of which would have been possible without LSI.”
Lisa Middlekauff, University of Richmond
Intern, McDermott, Will & Emery, LLP
One of the many networking opportunities that distinguishes our internship program from others is the optional Attorney Mentor Program. Many students rate this component as one of the most valuable aspects of their DC Experience. In fact, students and mentors often stay in contact well after they leave Washington.
Your mentor will be a contact on the ground before you arrive in DC and is available to answer questions even before you leave your hometown. Most importantly, your mentor will be in contact with you during your internship and will provide:
- Tips for living in Washington
- Career advice
- Networking contacts
- Introductions to the best spots in the city for food, fun, and activities
Over 300 Washington, DC area professionals volunteer to be matched with you and your fellow classmates throughout your time in DC. Your mentor will be paired with you based on your career goals, college or university, hometown, and other factors.
We even host a “Meet Your Mentor Breakfast” where you get the opportunity to meet with your mentor in person and plan your other meetings during your stay in Washington.
“With the guidance of LSI and my mentor, I now know the direction in which I want to take my legal career.”
Christian Riddell, Rutgers School of Law
Intern, Robinson & Geraldo
Professional Development Sessions
These sessions will provide you with the opportunity to hear from recruiters and practitioners within various practice areas including:
- Campaign finance and election law
- Immigration law
- Intellectual property law
- International law
- Department of Justice
- Commercial litigation
- Public interest law
- Army JAG Corps
- Judicial Clerkships
Bring your Washington, DC experience full circle by exploring the social, cultural and historical aspects of this vibrant capital city. You will be exposed to a great deal of professional and academic opportunities, but your program experience will also give you a taste of everyday life in D.C.
Attend social events to get acquainted with fellow students and see a more relaxed side of the city:
- National’s baseball game - Catch a major league game at National’s Park and support the home team, the Washington Nationals.
- Canoeing on the Potomac - Spend an afternoon on the river with other students while enjoying the summer weather.
- The National Zoo - Visit the animals of Washington’s own world renowned Smithsonian National Zoo.
- Student happy hours & receptions - Get to know your classmates and professors at casual get togethers after work.
History & Culture
You will gain valuable knowledge and embrace the history of D.C. by taking part in these great tours and events:
- Tour of the National Monuments - A professional tour guide will lead you on a twilight tour of the city’s most famous monuments.
- Mt. Vernon - Spend the day at the historic home of George and Martha Washington located on the banks of the picturesque Potomac River.
- Newseum - Take a trip through history at Washington, DC’s most interactive museum.
- White House Tour- Explore the home of our nation’s president and get an inside glimpse at the First Family’s D.C. digs.
- Jazz in the Garden - Visit the National Sculpture Garden on Friday evenings throughout the summer to admire unique works of art while enjoying live jazz music.
“I learned more than I thought possible while experiencing life as a true Washingtonian. I thoroughly enjoyed my summer with the Legal Studies Institute.”
Alyssa Rothman, Widener University School of Law
Intern, Hannon Law Group