An internship is one of the most important investments you can make in your future.
In many respects, an internship is a summer or semester long interview that could end in a future full-time job, glowing letters of recommendation and countless professional contacts. Each year, LIVE. LEARN. INTERN. program participants are offered full time or future internship opportunities at their internship site.
Students intern at organizations all over the Washington, DC Metro area. Each site is accessible to public transportation, making it easy to get from home to work to class and back again.
“As an intern with the Office of Technology, I researched global developments in the industries of telecommunications, e-commerce, and mobile applications. I worked on a paper focusing on the development of cloud computing capabilities in China and the implications of these developments on U.S. foreign policy.”
Ben Perry, Wake Forest University
Intern, U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration
You need experience and we can help you get there. Unlike other internship programs, we guarantee you an internship. We’ve been creating academic internship experiences for more than 40 years and you will be able to take advantage of the strong relationships we have with hundreds of organizations in DC.
We have designated staff to work with you every step of the way to secure you a position that best matches your interests, abilities and career goals.
Washington, DC – You Belong Here
Washington, DC may be the most intern-friendly city in the country. In fact, some estimates say that close to 40,000 interns work in the city each summer. No other city can beat DC for the wide scope of opportunities that are available to you. Internship positions exist within various fields and institutions, including Congress, think tanks, embassies and international non-governmental organizations.
This is the Real Deal
You’ll work approximately 30 hours a week for the duration of the program. In addition to normal intern office duties, you could cover hearings on Capitol Hill, work on important public policy papers, research critical government initiatives, attend meetings, and be assigned substantive work that will help you in your future career.
Your internship options are endless. Each summer, our students work at more than 300 different government agencies and independent organizations working on a variety of important issues.
Here’s a sampling of our past internship sites:
- Atlantic Council
- Center for European Policy Analysis
- Environmental Protection Agency – Office of Global Affairs
- Fund for Global Human Rights
- German Marshall Fund
- Helsinki Commission on Security & Cooperation in Europe
- Hoover Institution
- Hudson Institute
- Inter-American Foundation
- International Foundation for Electoral Systems
- National Defense University
- National Endowment for Democracy
- National U.S.-Arab Chamber of Commerce
- Relief International
- UN Refugee Agency
- U.S. Department of Commerce – International Trade Administration
Click here for a longer list of sample internship sites. Somewhere in Washington, DC there is an internship that’s just right for you. Make the first investment in your future and start your application now. Click here to begin an online application!
An internship gives you the unique opportunity to glimpse into what full time employment is all about. You will learn more about yourself, your skills, and what it’s like in the professional world. This experience will set you apart and give you a competitive edge during your job search after college.
With a guaranteed internship, you can count on us to use our years of experience and connections to place you with a quality organization in your field of interest.
Why trust your internship to us?
It’s simple - we’re the experts! For more than 40 years we have placed over 7,000 interns with hundreds of organizations in the Washington, DC metro area. Our contacts and connections with organizations will ensure that your resume is given more attention than if you had applied on your own.
- Dedicated Staff: You will be assigned to a dedicated internship coordinator who will work with you throughout every step of the placement process.
- Resume Assistance: You will receive a personalized resume review to help make you a competitive candidate in the DC market. Using feedback we’ve received from internship supervisors over the years, we will help you format and tailor your list of experiences and skills to make your resume stand out.
- Interview Prep: You will be given information on how to best prepare for a possible phone interview, including interview tips, practice questions and how to thoroughly research the organization.
- Professional Advice: We will help you prepare for your first day on the job by providing information on commuting options, dress codes and workplace etiquette. If problems arise along the way, we are here to offer advice on working with your supervisor and coworkers to make sure your internship runs smoothly.
It’s All About Fit
We understand how important it is to find an internship that is the right fit for your interests and qualifications. That’s why our staff works closely with you to find the best internship match. We encourage you to be open to exploring new opportunities – DC is full of organizations large and small, all eager to give interns a great professional experience.
How We Do It
Before sending your resume to a potential internship site, there are a few key items we take into consideration:
- Internship Questionnaire - During the enrollment process you will fill out a detailed Internship Questionnaire. This form gives you the chance to identify the type of organizations you are interested in pursuing and rank issues of interest. You will also submit a brief written statement describing the type of work that excites you most. Click here for a look at the Internship Questionnaire.
- Internship Site Needs - We ask each internship site to fill out an Intern Request Form which outlines their available positions and the qualifications and skills required from each candidate (i.e. language abilities, computer skills, etc). We use these forms along with Internship Questionnaires and resumes to make the strongest matches possible between students and sites.
“To work for an organization that is making such an incredible impact on rising women leaders and entrepreneurs in developing countries is an experience I would not trade for anything.”
Ana Yoder, University of Virginia
Intern, Vital Voices
Keep In Mind
- You are guaranteed an internship through our program. This means that if you are not selected for a position after an interview or if you truly feel the internship would not be a strong fit, the process will continue until a placement is confirmed.
- The timeline is different for everyone. While students are admitted on a rolling basis, not all organizations choose their interns in the same manner. Applying for the program early always ensures that more opportunities are available, but does not necessarily guarantee and early placement as the process can last up to three months.
- We are here for you! Our goal is to ensure that you have the best possible summer internship experience here in Washington, DC. We will communicate with you on a regular basis to keep you updated on the status of your placement.